Talk about being taken by surprise.I must be living underneath a rock.Thanks to Kathy I only now just found out about the new movie.Looks like "Aviator" has started a new trend,I want more! "Amelia" is to be released next month.
I just found out about it a couple of days ago myself. I can't wait!! I loved every one of Amelia's airplanes. Did you know she set an altitude record at Detroit City Airport back then? How cool is that?
When I first saw the trailer, there was a section in it that made me think of you, Joel: where Amelia says "I'm a flier, pursuing my passion for the fun of it!"
Kathy:Ya,Howard Hughes is kind of a idol of mine and DiCaprio did a excellent job and its my most favorite movie of all time. Ya,where did the film makers find that big single engine Lockheed Vega and is it airworthy?I don't know of any except Willie Post's at the Smithsonian.Oh maybe Post will be the next 1930s aviators to be a movie subject(fingers crossed).
Amelia's Vega, along with Post's is at the National Air and Space Museum - I just googled "Amelia Earhart's Lockheed Vega" and found out that it's in the museum. Man, that's a museum I want to see sometime! I've been to the museum in Dayton, Ohio.
Horus - do a Google search on Betty Klenck Brown. You will see an article about her. She was 15 years old when Amelia Earhart disappeared. She happened to be listening to her father's short-wave radio when, while dialing, she heard a woman say, "This is Amelia Earhart" - she had a notebook nearby and she transcribed everything she heard. It is pretty much established that she was hearing distress calls from Amelia and that her transcription is legit. It makes for fascinating, if sad, reading. When Betty's father came home, she told him about it, he listened and read her transcript, then went to the local Coast Guard to try to get them to act on it. They pretty much just brushed it off. This was the same time the massive search for Amelia was going on. Had someone paid attention, maybe Earhart and Noonan would have been saved.
10 comments:
I just found out about it a couple of days ago myself. I can't wait!! I loved every one of Amelia's airplanes. Did you know she set an altitude record at Detroit City Airport back then? How cool is that?
When I first saw the trailer, there was a section in it that made me think of you, Joel: where Amelia says "I'm a flier, pursuing my passion for the fun of it!"
I saw "Aviator" with Leonardo DiCaprio and thought it was great!
This is going to be awesome!
Kathy:Ya,Howard Hughes is kind of a idol of mine and DiCaprio did a excellent job and its my most favorite movie of all time.
Ya,where did the film makers find that big single engine Lockheed Vega and is it airworthy?I don't know of any except Willie Post's at the Smithsonian.Oh maybe Post will be the next 1930s aviators to be a movie subject(fingers crossed).
Steph:Yes it will.But $$$ :- (
That Lockheed Vega is sweeeeet! I also liked Amelia's Kinner Canary.
Horus: miracles still happen! Hang in there - you never know what's waiting around the corner.
Amelia's Vega, along with Post's is at the National Air and Space Museum - I just googled "Amelia Earhart's Lockheed Vega" and found out that it's in the museum. Man, that's a museum I want to see sometime! I've been to the museum in Dayton, Ohio.
The AF museum at Dayton is legendary,it's on my 'want to see' list.If your ever in Tucson AZ visit Pima Air Museum also a impressive collection.
Horus - do a Google search on Betty Klenck Brown. You will see an article about her. She was 15 years old when Amelia Earhart disappeared. She happened to be listening to her father's short-wave radio when, while dialing, she heard a woman say, "This is Amelia Earhart" - she had a notebook nearby and she transcribed everything she heard. It is pretty much established that she was hearing distress calls from Amelia and that her transcription is legit. It makes for fascinating, if sad, reading. When Betty's father came home, she told him about it, he listened and read her transcript, then went to the local Coast Guard to try to get them to act on it. They pretty much just brushed it off. This was the same time the massive search for Amelia was going on. Had someone paid attention, maybe Earhart and Noonan would have been saved.
It's "Listening for Amelia" - Betty's diary. She is now believed to be the last person to hear Amelia alive.
Post a Comment