Monday, March 08, 2010



Taking a Corsair out for a bit under the watchful,pretty,and protective eyes of "you-know-who". Over the weekend I came across Amelia's 10E(in FS of course)and did a test flight.

4 comments:

Kathy Handyside said...

Cool pictures of the Corsair and the Electra! Did you ever watch the tv series "Baa Baa Black Sheep"? In the second year of the series, they changed the title to "Black Sheep Squadron." It was based on a true unit in the Pacific called the Black Sheep Squadron, led by Greg "Pappy" Boyington. They were thought to be a bunch of drunken losers, but they became the most successful air fighter unit in the Pacific during WWII. The squadron flew Corsairs. The tv series is on now on DVD and you'd really like it. Especially all the Corsairs! The Corsair became my favorite WWII airplane, along with the B-17 Flying Fortress, my favorite because my Dad was in the Army Air Corps during WWII, stationed in England. He was part of the ground crew of sheet-metal workers who would patch up the airplanes that were shot to pieces, when they staggered back to base. My Dad said it was amazing that some of those planes made it back to base, they were so badly damaged. I have all the insignias from his uniform, including the airplane propeller insignia that signified the airplane ground crew. Very cool.

Horus Jay said...

Your dad must have had his work cut out for him.Did he just repair 17s or any US plane stationed in the UK?

As for Black Sheep,hehe.It was filmed in my back yard practically.The aerial work was done off the coast of Ventura because of the nearby Channel Islands and gave it that south Pacific look, and near LA and Universal.A couple of the Corsairs are still in the LA area and still going strong.In fact the one based at the Planes of Fame museum in Chino is not only the oldest Corsair flying but was a real Black Sheep Squadron bird during WWII.Oh Baa Baa Black Sheep-the auto biography of Boyington,a great read.But you probably already know that.If not I recommend it.I liked the show too even with the stories being fictionalized for entertainment purposes.

Kathy Handyside said...

Dad repaired all of them, but the star of the fleet was the B-17.

That's so cool about the tv series being filmed so close to you! Yes, I've read Boyington's book. I have a copy of it. Not only did I read his book, but I wrote him a letter and he wrote back to me, so I have a hand-written letter from "Pappy" himself! One of my treasured possessions, I might add! :D

I think the Navy pilots used to refer to the Corsair as "Hose Nose".

Horus Jay said...

Thats even beyond cool that Pappy wrote you back.

Yep,Hose Nose because on the ground you can't see beyond that nose.Constant S-turning.I even have to do that in FS but a fantastic plane.

About Me

My photo
Avi-ist:someone whose religion is aviation,flight,and is a follower of Horus.