Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Spotlight on the: Spartan

For some time I have wanted to highlight this aircraft.It has become a passion of mine,I just can't get enough of it.Funny thing I'm not very fond of its exterior looks but the interior "Oh Ya!".I have seen one in real life(at Santa Paula,CA)and never thought much about it but FS sold me on it.Now some background:
Spartan Aircraft Model 7W "Executive" First Flight - 1936, Engine - 450 horsepower Pratt & Whitney R-985 radial, Maximum Speed - 223 knots or 257 miles per hour (not bad for a 1936 aircraft!), Capacity - one pilot and 3 to 4 passengers, Number Built - 34
Now some pics (click to see larger)


As you can see mine comes with a laptop so I can "FS" while I am "FS-ing".And a glass of wine too.Flying up the coast following the PCH (Pacific Coast Highway) from Santa Monica to Santa Barbara and Santa Maria is one of my favorite flights in the Spartan.
It was a very advanced aircraft for its day.It was a monoplane of all metal construction and had flaps and retractable landing gear,not to mention that speed!The Spartan Executive was designed during the Great Depression for the wealthy(Howard Hughes had one for example)and with fewer than thirty four in existence they are highly prized aircraft to this day.

3 comments:

Kathy Handyside said...

Very cool! I love the interior. This plane looks kind of like the Corsair, but without the gull wings. I love historic airplanes!

Horus Jay said...

A passenger-executive Corsair,now theres an idea!
:- )

Kathy Handyside said...

Now that would be a hot airplane!

About Me

My photo
Avi-ist:someone whose religion is aviation,flight,and is a follower of Horus.