Monday, March 15, 2010



Some more FS pics.This time my favorite (in FS and real life) WWII-Korea-Vietnam era bomber/attack plane the Douglas A-26 Invader,a four thousand horsepower wanna-be fighter.In fact it is said that the A-26 can out turn a P-51 Mustang!
And as you can see I'm being watched. . .again.
LOL

11 comments:

Kathy Handyside said...

4,000 horsepower?! Wow!!

Horus Jay said...

Ya.Like two Corsairs flying together.

Kathy Handyside said...

I don't know what it is about these old warbirds that I like, but I find them much cooler than the modern fighter jets. To me, the modern jets look lean, malicious, insect-like. They're just not approachable. I've seen some of them up close on the ground and they just exude an air of threat. The old warbirds, however, are noble and dignified, and definitely approachable. Plus, they don't all look like one another. They have character and it's not a malicious character either - it's more a wise Gandalf-like charcter - you know there's power there and killing ability, but it isn't the brash in-your-face kind of thing. I guess this sounds really nonsensical, doesn't it? Can't help it - it's how I feel.

Kathy Handyside said...

Of course, I realize this plane isn't WWII vintage, but it's still in that class, IMO. It still retains that character and nobility of its older cousins.

Horus Jay said...

I completely understand.When I see a historic aircraft(or hear one)for me its kinda like seeing god.The majority of the modern military birds have no soul.Of course they don't have a huge history either.

Horus Jay said...

Are you referring to the Invader as not WWII? It is.A three-war veteran.
Oh!!!
Do you know about this?I would not miss it for anything!

http://www.yankeeairmuseum.org/airshow/

7 B-17s!,B-24,Me 262!,ect...

Kathy Handyside said...

Funny you should mention the Yankee Air Museum! I was just going to tell you about it. It's in Ypsilanti (pronounced ip-sa-lan-tee)at Willow Run Airport which is only about 30 minutes from my house. I haven't yet made it to the airshow - something always came up that I couldn't make it, but I plan on attending this year. If I do, I'll get you a souvenir and send it to you. I've been to the museum in Dayton - incredible!

Kathy Handyside said...

Oh - well, that explains why the Invader looks like it does. I thought it was strictly Viet Nam era. Dumb me!

Kathy Handyside said...

Did you know that in 1967 on the 30th anniversary of Amelia's last flight, a local woman pilot by the name of Ann Pellegrino took off from Willow Run in an Electra 10 to commemorate Amelia's flight. She followed as closely as possible the same route Amelia took. She had an expert navigator with her as well as an airline mechanic and a veteran Air Force pilot. Their plane was, of course, equipped with what was modern equipment for 1967 and even with that, they, too, nearly missed Howland Island. They talked about how difficult the flight was with modern equipment and what it must have been like for Amelia and Fred with their equipment. I have a copy of Ann's book, "World Flight." It's a good read. She was friends with my Dad's boss who was a pilot and for whom my Dad helped build a kit airplane (my Dad did the sheetmetal work for it).

Kathy Handyside said...

And Amelia set an altitude record at Detroit City Aiport!

Kathy Handyside said...

Often, during the summer, we'll see some of the warbirds from Yankee Air Museum flying over. I think one of the pilots must know someone who lives around here.

About Me

My photo
Avi-ist:someone whose religion is aviation,flight,and is a follower of Horus.