Friday, December 11, 2009

Things Will Never Be the Same Again

"I never thought I would see the day. . ."
N131SU,the worlds first privately owned Sukhoi 27 has flown.A big "Congratulations" to Pride Air and all involved.The warbird community will never be the same again.

6 comments:

Kathy Handyside said...

Is it one individual who owns this plane, or is it jointly owned by Pride Air? I like the blue camo paintjob. I can't imagine owning something like that! The fuel bill must be astronomical; still, I guess if you can afford to own it, you can afford the gas for it. LOL! Very cool video! I didn't realize that a fighter jet could roll to a stop so soon. But then, they stop pretty quickly on the aircraft carriers, don't they? But I always thought it was because of the arresting hook. Imagine practicing touch-and-goes in that! Certainly different from doing them in a Cessna trainer. :)

Horus Jay said...

At the moment Kathy Pride Air ownes it tell some one or ones buy it from them and there is a second one as well!The colors are the same as when it was delivered,former Ukraine Air Force.Gas and maintenance will be costly but it would be worth it to tell people you own a Su-27.LOL
The Su-27 is a amazing bird.If you think it stops fast on the ground you should see it come to a complete stop in the air!(no joke)
As far as I'm concerned the current US Air Force has nothing like it in performance-maneuverability.

Kathy Handyside said...

I'd like to see a video of it stopping in the air! How did Pride Air come to buy it? Was the Ukraine Air Force just unloading them, or were they going to scrap it and Pride Air wanted to save it from that fate? I'm not up on the story behind it.

The U.S. is too busy bombing the hell out of imaginary enemies and playing policeman and bully to the rest of the world, to put any innovation in anything else. We seem to go in for mean-looking killing machines and drones, rather than elegant aircraft like the Su-27. Don't I sound like Obi-wan Kenobi? "An elegant weapon from a more civilized age."

Lynette said...

Absolutely amazing...and beautiful!

Horus Jay said...

Kathy:I'm not sure of how Pride Air or why they bought two Su-27s from the Ukraine but I do know that the Ukraine is really hurting for money and owes a large debt to Russia.I will see if I can find a video to post of the Sukhoi's "zero airspeed" maneuvers.
Lynette:I agree,its is beautiful and amazing.I hope to see one in person someday(even if it means going to Russia).

Kathy Handyside said...

Russia is on my list of places to go backpacking, particularly the Kamchatka Peninsula.

About Me

My photo
Avi-ist:someone whose religion is aviation,flight,and is a follower of Horus.