Tuesday, December 15, 2009

By Request: "Zero Air Speed"

Well Kathy you want to see a Sukhoi stop in flight? This is the Su-30,a newer variation of the Su-27(from a previous post)doing what no other current in service fighter can do.Do enjoy! I sure do!



PS: this Su-30 is able to do these stunts because it is has the canards and and thrust vectoring(moving tailpipes).But the 27 is capable of some of the same maneuvers.

5 comments:

Kathy Handyside said...

Thanks so much, Joel!! That was simply astounding! I've never seen a figher plane do that! I think one of the things the pilot did was an aerobatic movement I've seen at air shows called the "Lumcevak" but it was always done by prop planes - not a jet!! Wow. I enjoyed every second of this.

I remember going to the Detroit Air Show back in the '70s and they had a Hawker Harrier in from Great Britain and it, too, had the moveable thrusters so that it could hover like a helicopter - they demonstrated it but could only demonstrate it briefly as the thrusters were facing down on the runway and if they hovered too long, it would melt the runway! They also advised everyone to cover their ears and their children's ears because of the intense noise. But it was so cool! It hovered probably 10 feet or so above the runway.

This was great! I love watching stuff like this. Do you know where this was filmed?

Horus Jay said...

Your welcome.Glad you liked it.It was filmed at MAKS in Moscow,its a air exhibition like the one in Paris and it only happens every other year.Its my dream airshow.If I could only see one more airshow in my life time it would be MAKS.
Yep,lumcevak,tailslide,hammerhead stall,ect. . .Sukhoi does it all and some new ones.
I like that at one point the Su actually falls "up"! Whos Isaac Newton?

Kathy Handyside said...

Yes, yes! I couldn't believe my eyes when it was falling up!! I've never seen anything like that before! Oh man, I'd love to go to that airshow, too.

I've been to the Dayton Air Fair and that's really cool. One I've always wanted to go to is the EAA one at Oshkosh, WI. I'd like to take my camping gear and stay for the whole thing!

Kathy Handyside said...

I just watched it again - it's such a cool vid!

Horus Jay said...

LOL Kathy.I have watched it several times,never gets boring.A few weeks ago I watched 3 hours of Oshkosh (Airventure 2009)highlights,amazing!
As for you mentioning the Harrier my first Harrier encounter was. . .oh,lets say a VERY close encounter as in flying so low me and the group I was with had to "HIT THE DECK!".Oh did you know one of the nicknames for the Harrier is "Hair Dryer",LOL.One more thing.There is a privately owned one doing airshows now.

About Me

My photo
Avi-ist:someone whose religion is aviation,flight,and is a follower of Horus.