Sunday, November 01, 2009

A Extraordinary Story

This review is a tough one because "Amelia" is so well done.I will try and do it justice. The film follows the true life story of a girl from Atchison Kansas with a love of aviation who turns out to be the most famous female aviator of all time,Amelia Earhart.In the film you see her setting records(example:the first woman to fly the Atlantic solo),the creation of The Ninety-Nines ,her involvement with a airline called TAT(later to become Howard Hughes's TWA),and her views on the what everyone around her was going through at time,the Great Depression.A large part of the film focuses on her personal life(which is something I was not all that aware of)with George Putnam who would "eventually" marry her.Of course not all of Amelia's achievements could be in the movie,it would take several movies. The film almost comes off as a documentary in my opinion than "Hollywood".The ending had me in tears(that's a sign of a good movie).Hilary Swank was very convincing as Amelia.She did a fantastic job.Richard Gere,Ewan McGregor,Christopher Eccleston and all the other actors and film makers,"Thankyou".Very well done. If you have a liking for aviation or are just into history I recommend you go see "Amelia".
Amelia Earhart : 1897 - 1937

4 comments:

Kathy Handyside said...

Did you know that Hilary Swank learned to fly for the movie? She said she loved flying a plane. She wanted to be as authentic as she could. I think that's great.

Horus Jay said...

I didn't know that.I did find it interesting she is and credited producer for the movie.Makes her portrayal that much more realistic,like Harrison Ford's in "6 Day Seven Nights".He did his own flying too.

Kathy Handyside said...

I noticed that too when the credits ran. The only other thing I'd seen Hilary Swank in was "The Next Karate Kid", which I really liked; she did a great job in that, too.

Like I said, I want to see Amelia again - I always pick up new things the second time around. I think it's the best Amelia movie I've seen. I saw the tv one years ago - I think it was in the 70s, which starred Susan Clark as Amelia. It wasn't that great.

There's a group called TIGHAR - the International Group for Historic Aircraft Recovery - that has an interesting ongoing Earhart project. Check out their website at www.tighar.org They have a bunch of other interesting projects as well.

Kathy Handyside said...

I should also warn you that TIGHAR comes across as having a very cocksure and arrogant attitude that only they know the facts. They slam every other book written about Earhart except, surprisingly (I'm being sarcastic), their own book. In short they think they're the last word on the subject; I don't buy that. They haven't produced any evidence yet; but I do like the idea that they are searching for Amelia's plane. They didn't like the Amelia movie and give a pretty nit-picking slam of it. Nonetheless, they're website is interesting. Just take it with a grain of salt.

About Me

My photo
Avi-ist:someone whose religion is aviation,flight,and is a follower of Horus.